Whom should I notify of a new address?

When you move to a new address, you should notify the following:

Note: the list is not all-inclusive:

  • the IRS using Form 8822
  • state and local taxing authorities
  • The U.S. Post Office: You can forward your mail to your new address by filling out a change-of-address form at your local post office or online at the U.S. Postal Service website.
  • Insurance agents (home, auto, and life)
  • Debtors and creditors-mortgage holders, car lien holders, other lenders
  • Credit card companies
  • Publications
  • Clubs and services to which you subscribe
  • The Social Security Administration
  • Any organization that periodically mails you a check
  • Banks
  • Employer: Update your address information with your employer so that your paychecks and other work-related communications are sent to the correct address.
  • Doctors, dentists, veterinarians
  • Motor vehicle departments
  • Places of worship and non-profit organizations you are involved with
  • The registrar of voters
  • Utilities, telephone service, answering service, and trash collectors
  • Your accountant, attorney, and broker
  • Friends, family, and business contacts: Update your address information with your friends, family, and business contacts so they can continue to send you mail and stay in touch.

By updating your address information with these entities, you can ensure that your important mail and communications are delivered to your new address.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top